In and around Bennettsville, South Carolina, in the heart of the Pee Dee region, people look to the Powers Law Firm to represent them in personal injury suits and criminal defense. The firm is known for its work with people charged with drug crimes as well as more violent crimes. For many years the firm has been helping victims of motor vehicle and other accidents obtain compensation for their injuries.
Delton W. Powers, Jr.
Attorney Delton W. Powers, Jr. has about the most important qualification an attorney can have: more than 30 years of experience representing the people of northeast South Carolina.
Lawyer Delton Powers is bar-certified in both mediation and arbitration.
Delton Powers has been serving the citizens of South Carolina as an attorney since being admitted to practice in 1977. Mr. Powers served under two Solicitors as a prosecutor on the State level, and has during his career successfully defended clients in every level of Criminal Courts, from Federal down to City Courts. He has argued cases before the South Carolina Appellate and Supreme Courts, and has varied experience as a Hearing Officer for the Department of Revenue, a Juvenile Public Defender, and as a Special Prosecutor. Further, by representing the Marlboro County Department of Social Services in Child Protective Services proceedings, and handling serious DSS cases in almost a dozen counties, Delton has for over 25 years helped protect the rights of children. With the thousands of cases he has handled throughout his career, whether a million-dollar civil case, a murder trial, or simply giving advice, the important thing has always been the care and dignity of the client.
Mr. Powers is a member of the American and SC Trial Lawyers’ Associations, American and South Carolina Bar Associations, former board member and sustaining member of the South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, and is certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court as a Mediator and for Civil and Family Court matters. Delton previously served on the Appellate Panel of the South Carolina Office of Coastal Resource Management, as he previously served from 1985-1993 when the organization was known as the South Carolina Coastal Council. He also serves on certain Bar committees that oversee lawyer conduct.
Delton has served on numerous boards, committees and civic organizations and is often invited to speak to schools and to students. His professional and civic affiliations include:
- Cole-Huff DUI Advocacy Group, Member
- Governor’s Crime Task Force, Member 1985-1988
- Marlboro County, Court of Common Pleas, Special Referee, 15+ years
- SC and American Bar Associations, Member
- SC and American Associations for Justice (formerly Trial Lawyers), Member
- SC Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Sustaining and Board Member
- SC DHEC Office of Coastal Resource Board, Member 1995-2011
- SC Coastal Council Board, Member 1985-1993
- SC Fee Dispute Committee and other SC Bar Committees, Member
- SC Supreme Court, 2004 Special Appointment, Trustee/Judge/Coach, South Carolina Mock Trial
- Marlboro Arts Commission, Former President and Board Member 1990-98
- Marlboro Civic Center Foundation, former PR Chairman and Member
- Marlboro County United Way, Chairman 1994
- Marlboro Players Theater Group, Board Member
- Northeastern Technical College, Cheraw, SC, Criminal Law Instructor 2001
- Palmetto Legal Services Corporation, Board Member 1996-99